Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Service with a Frown

I am shopping for a couple of big ticket purchases lately and realize that customer service representatives do not take "young" people seriously - let me give you a few examples:
  1. I went into a Mazda dealership on a weekday and I was approached by a man in his late 40s. He didn't take me very seriously when I told him that I was looking for a car and I received poor service as a result. He also kept asking for my parents. Every person who walks into a dealership is a potential customer - you should be talking to them like they're worth 20 grand.
  2. Looking for a digi cam and they say that the best thing to do is to go to a store and play with it. So I went to Black's and was approached by a sales rep (another guy in his 40s). I told him that I was looking for at picking up photography as a hobby so I need something suitable for a beginner. He told me that the one I was looking at is really good, and that he sold a lot of it. He also told me the specs of the lens (which is written on the lense itself!) but nothing else. Then worst of all, he just walked away! I turned around and couldn't find him!?
Three random guys in a factory who are not in sales.

I think I've unlocked the secret to seeing the real side of customer service reps.
  1. They don't care two (expletives) about you if you look like a kid
  2. Unless you're fanning yourself with a brown stack of Sir Robert Borden's finest (hundred dollar bills), you're not going to get a stare.
  3. Therefore, if you want an accurate evaluation of customer service, go shopping dressed in something that makes you look too young for your age or wear something that looks like you're trying to pawn something off to them.
Editor's Note: Black's and Mazda were both added to my boycott list.